#TastyTreatTuesday My Decadent Chocolate Cake
9 oz salted butter
9 oz dark chocolate (I used chips)
8 tsp instant coffee
¾ C water
1 C rising flour*
1 C all-purpose flour
½ C cocoa powder
½ tsp baking soda
2 ¼ C castor sugar*
½ C vegetable oil
1 C buttermilk*
1 tub of cool whip
*See below on how to make this item yourself
Chocolate Ganache Frosting:
23 oz. Milk Chocolate (I used the chips)
1 ¼ C heavy whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 320F
2. Grease and line three 8 in round pans.
3. In a pot combine butter, water, and instant coffee. Place on stove with medium heat melt until it comes to a slow boil. Turn of stove and remove from burner. Add dark chocolate and stir until completely combined. Set aside
4. Sift both flours, cocoa, sugar and baking soda together in a large bowl. When completely make a well in the center of the bowl.
5. Beat eggs, buttermilk, and oil together in a small bowl
6. Add egg mixture to your chocolate mixture and combine until smooth
7. Add egg/chocolate mixture into the well in the flour mixture, stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until all lumps are gone.
8. Pour evenly into your three pans
9. Bake for 45 minutes, check with a toothpick, if it is not ready place back in oven for 15 minutes. Let cool completely before trying to remove.
To make the ganache simple combine both the chocolate and cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute, take out and stir for 2 minutes. Repeat up to 3 times, the frosting will be ready when there are no more lumps.
1. Take a dollop of your frosting and place in the middle your cake saver/cake stand. This will help keep your cake from moving.
2. Take out one cake and place on top of your ganache.
3. Apply ½ of the tub of cool whip on top.
4. Repeat for second layer and then place final cake on top.
5. Take your ganache frosting and pour a decent amount on top of your cake. Gently spread all over, once you have your top down slowly frost your sizes.
6. You can then add what you like to make it your own.
*I added Kit Kats around the cake and placed strawberries dipped in my ganache frosting on the top of the cake.
I made this cake for a birthday cake for a family member. It was a huge hit, it’s an easy cake to get those “oohs” and “ahhs”. Please know that this is a pretty decent size cake with the three layers. I could barely finish a piece.
How to Make Your Own:
Even with the amount of baking I do, I don’t have these ingredients just lying around my pantry. I don’t really feel like going out and buying them either because I’m only going to use them like one time a year so I can’t justify spending money. What do I do? I make my own of course.
Add 1 ½ tsp baking powder and ½ tsp salt to 1 C all-purpose flour.
Place granulated sugar in a food processor or blender. Pulse until it reaches a super-fine (but not powdery) texture.
Place a Tbsp. of white vinegar in a measuring cup and add milk until you reach 1 cup. Let set for 5-10 minutes.
If you should have any questions please leave a comment below or e-mail me at email@example.com
Happy #TastyTreatTuesday I hope see you back next week!