½ C packed dark brown sugar
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 cinnamon stick*
¼ C dark rum
2 large firm, ripe bananas
Vanilla ice cream
*When I came home from the grocery store I realized that I forgot to get cinnamon sticks, I choice to just add about ½ Tbsp. of ground cinnamon. It still turned out delicious however; I would recommend using the cinnamon stick.
1. Combine the brown sugar, butter (I cut mine into 4 pieces), cinnamon stick, lemon zest (I did a rough grate around a small lemon over the pan), and 1 Tbsp. of the rum into a heavy bottomed 12 in skillet.
2. Heat the mixture over a medium-high heat, stir constantly until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is thick (no longer than 2 minutes).
3. Reduce the heat to medium and add the bananas, spooning some sauce over each piece.
4. Cook until the bananas are flossy and golden on both sides (no longer than 3 minutes)
5. Off the heat, add the remaining 3 Tbsp. of rum (I found that it’s easiest to make a “wreath” with your bananas and then place the rum in the middle) and wait about 5 seconds for your rum to heat up.
Before flambéing make sure to roll up long sleeves, tie back hair, turn off the exhaust fan, and turn off any lit burners. Do not serve until the flame has COMPLETELY died down.
6. Wave a lit match over the pan until the rum ignites. ***
7. Return to heat and start gently rocking your pan over the heat until the flame subdues. (This shouldn’t be longer than 1 minute).
8. Divide the bananas and sauce over 4 bowls of ice cream equally. (Discard cinnamon stick)